View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #15
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady223 View Post
I don't want to get another Ethanol thread going but just wanted to mention that the issue is not mixing ethanol and non ethanol - boaters should not use ethanol.
I would LOVE to not use fuel containing ethanol but it's becoming next to impossible. Since I'm not rich, I trailer my boat to save on slip rental fees and high marina fuel prices. Unfortunately, that means that by filling up on the street, I'm going to get fuel with ethanol 99.44% of the time......I can't avoid it. It also seems, from reading this thread, that most of the marinas (perhaps not all) will have ethanol in their fuel anyways so it would still be hard to avoid fuel containing ethanol in my boat even if I wasn't trailering.

On the plus side, my boat is a 2004 model with a Mercruiser engine. The owners manual for my engine states there should be no problems running gas with up to 10% ethanol. The only precautions that need to be taken occur at winter storage time; either completely drain the fuel tank and fuel system or completely fill the tank and use a quality fuel stabilizer in the right proportion to protect the fuel from degrading during the off-season, which is exactly what I've been doing. So far, so good, I haven't had any problems but I fear that some day, I will have problems and it will be EXPENSIVE!