View Single Post
Old 07-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #21
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Does "at anchor" mean just with an anchor set or when stationary? I'd always thought that port/starboard lights meant "in motion."

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
If you can't see port or starboard lights, you SHOULD see a white light. That white light is going to be the stern light, (in which case you are approaching from the rear), OR, it's going to be the anchor light. It will be hard to tell if it is a stern light, or an anchor light from a distance, but as you get closer you should be able to determine what light it is so you know whether it is under way, or at anchor, and then you can determine how you are going to maneuver around it if it is anchored, or, if you are going faster than it, how you are going to pass it. If you are not anchored, but just "sitting still", with, or without the motor running, you should have the navigation lights on because you will be drifting no matter how strong, or insignificant the current is. A boat will never stay in one place unless it is anchored. Anchor light should only be on when anchored. One thing to look for (to help determine a stern light from an anchor light from a distance) is if the light is illuminating the whole boat, in which case that would be an anchor light, where a stern light may only light up the stern of the boat. The Real Big Guy may have a point when it comes to the length of a boat that determines if the stern and anchor light is the same light, or two separate lights. I'm not sure about that either. All I know is that every boat I have owned with lights, they have always had a separate stern, and anchor light, and switch for each one, and they are never on at the same time. My stern light has always been on the same switch as my bow lights, and goes on and off with them. Hope this helps to clarify. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the way I have always understood navigation/anchor lights.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote