View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 03:24 PM   #69
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Think, I look forward to the results of your experiment. Remember, saving energy isn't just about saving money, it's about the environment too.

Update: I meditated on the whole question of the water heater while taking a cold shower the other night. Brrrrr.

Why are we so far behind the Europeans? 45 years ago I visited friends in Germany. They had a small box on the wall over the kitchen sink that provided hot water in a minute or two with the flip of a switch. They were amazed that I had never seen this before. I had to say, "Oh, in the U.S. we prefer to heat 50 gallons of water to wash the dishes and keep the water hot all day just in case."
Sailin, I know I've been consistent in saying "just leave it on". That doesn't make me right about it, just consistent . But I do think you may have an incorrect impression of water heaters. Yes, cheapo hot water heaters with poor insulation are not great on energy usage, particularly in their loss of heat on standby. But good quality well insulated hot water heaters, whether 10 gallon or 50 gallon, are actually pretty efficient devices for the service they perform. Europe isn't 45 years ahead of us because they used high btu output propane hot water heaters at point of use.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote