View Single Post
Old 07-26-2022, 09:38 PM   #31
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Sorry to interrupt this very interesting discussing about solar energy. Some questions about the original topic of the thread:

(1) Is it true that electric rates are doubling? I have Eversource. My electric bill is about $115 a month. How much might it be after August 1? A higher electric bill on top of an impossible oil price is a pretty big hardship for most people. (I recent heard a prediction of oil at $8 a gallon this winter.)

(2) What are the biggest ways we can reduce our electricity consumption substantially? I don't think that eliminating trickle charges is going to make much of a difference if the bill doubles.

My biggest dilemmas are air conditioning and dehumidifiers. I work at home and have to have a cool environment. For reasons I still don't understand, my house is very humid in the summer. The dehumidifiers (second floor and basement) use a lot of electricity.

One solution I'm considering is using only the ground floor of my house. That way I wouldn't have to use the AC upstairs at night. I could just continue cooling the downstairs, which must be more cost effective than cooling down the very hot second floor at bedtime.
Higher energy cost is the only solution our present administration and all the green lobbyists has for the green dilemma. You can't escape it. Your electric bill will not double, but it will have a significant rise. The only way to reduce it is to lower your usage. That means turning things off, maybe buying more efficient appliances, but that results in marginal savings at significant cost.