View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #34
Descant

Thanked 1,530 Times in 989 Posts
Default Where are you?

A personal frustration on this site is that people post "on Winni" as if that is a small geographic area.

Where on Winni do you want to do this business? Different islands (island groups) have different needs. If you're in the Varney's you can go to Wolfeboro and walk to the grocery store. If you're in the Forties, you boat to Glendale and then get in your car to go to a grocery. More or less need for that service.

Not clear if you and your son are the only employees. Is this just a summer job while the son is in school and you'll be gone when he graduates?

It appears that Island Services (Meredith) and Island Support Services (Gilford) are both successful. I don't know who handles Wolfeboro, Moultonborough islands. I'd call them and ask what services they get requests for that they don't offer in their business model, or geographically where they don't operate. They may be a source of referrals, or other business ideas for whatever gaps there may be.

I loved it when some island kids used to deliver Sunday papers and bring fresh Dunkin Donuts. Premium price + tip. A 60 minute trip for me (boat and car for Dunkin' Donuts), especially nice on rainy days. Then the kids grew up. Not a way to make a living, but an example of somebody looking at the local needs and filling a gap.

Trash: some decades back, we had trash pick up. Before there were adequate dumpsters at marinas and Glendale. Too many times, the raccoons
distributed the trash before the collection service could get to it. Now, a little bit goes whenever we go. Gilford offers one "dump day" per year for large items, late July. If I buy a new stove in May, the old one sits around for many weeks waiting for "dump day". I'd love to get rid of that stuff early in the season, but it certainly isn't every year.

Summary, Where? When? Timelined? You need sales in May/June, September/October and mid week, perhaps when the owner isn't there. And you need repeat activities that will take time to build.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote