View Single Post
Old 11-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
dayvsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I have a problem with my 15 yr old Scotts (MTD) tractor.
18 hp B&S engine, 46" deck

Tractor will not move forward or backwards.
Up until now this tractor has been VERY dependable, except for a few belt replacements and batteries over the years.

Problem started the other day when driving, I stopped, and shut it off to talk to a neighbor. When I got back on to start, I noticed that when moving forward,
it seemed to be grabbing like the brake was on ! Note: TO start you have to press on the brake, otherwise engine will not start, a safety control I guess.

Anyway, after trying to drive forward it continued to grab and jerk.
I decided to shut it down and call it a day. I shifter the release mechanism under the seat, which basically puts transmission into neutral to you can push around without much effort.

Troubleshoot the issue today, removed right rear wheel to check the brake disc mechanism, and it was stuck, and couldn't be moved. I shot some WD40 in/around the disc and loosened the plate cover over the disc, I could then spin the disc without much effort.

Thinking I was home free, I put it all back together, started the engine, and
pushed the pedal forward. Now, it will not go forward or reverse.
At least before I started, it would go in both directions.

Thoughts ?
Have some ideas...If you say the brake was grabbing when not being applied..My tractor doesn't have "brake discs" like a car does, it just stops the drive line..If your IS like a car, and the wheel cylinder has water in the brake-line which is now in the wheel cylinder, it could just be full of corrosion and seized.. Do you have the exact Model of the the tractor?