Thread: Face Masks
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #37
XCR-700

Unhappy Whats actually going on, what are we doing, what are we actually trying to accomplish

Given that this thread has already taken a left turn from its origin I don’t feel too bad adding to that deviation, but will try to do so without burning the forum down.

So my concern is what are we trying to do with all these masks?

Originally we are all told we needed to slow the spread and keep the hospital ICUs from becoming overloaded. This was going to be a few weeks, and we are all horrified. But now its been months with no end in sight and many people are using the term the new normal, with discussions about every one wearing masks all day long, all the time, forever more going forward.

So what happened to slowing the spread?

How did it become “stop or kill” the virus?

Do we really think we can stop or kill any virus?

Some are saying this is the new norm until we have a vaccine.

Will this all stop once there is a vaccine?

Do people realize that when speaking of flu viruses, roughly only half the population get the flu shot, and when we are lucky and it’s a “good” vaccine, its still only roughly 40% effective?

Do we realize that not all, but way too much of whats being discussed and proposed in the media and by self-proclaimed experts is NOT backed up by actual in depth scientific study, the universal standard being a double-blind study that takes time to conduct and time to review and time to agree upon and document the findings, as opposed to the current zero time pronouncements.

Personally I am feeling like a sheep, I am following what I am told to do, where masks (most of the time) social distance (most of the time) minimizing my activities and staying home.

And in truth, and as I now see no end in sight, I am also starting to feel like I have been listening to people who are selling me snake oil.

The original notion of slowing the spread to reduce impact to the hospital ICUs made sense, but I don’t know if I buy into the beat the virus, kill the virus, new normal, etc,,,

Feeling really confused, not protected, not better, not confident in ANYTHING I am now hearing.

Am I the only one who isn’t totally anchored in one camp or the other; the remain locked down until forever if needed until someone tells us we are now ok to return to the old normal camp, or the this is all nonsense there is nothing to worry about camp,,,

Starting to feel like I am in between 2 markers on the lake, and wondering if I should be on the outside of either of them, and not happy about or satisfied about anything the people on the boat are telling me.

Last edited by XCR-700; 07-19-2020 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Formatting