View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #103
Belmont Resident

Thumbs down Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red apple View Post
My biggest issue with not having a say is that we pay the same taxes as a resident and can't we still have to pay ad a Non resident when registering boats, snowmobiles and other recreational veichles.
That is a different subject then taxes but one I totally agree with.
States should just throw out the resident none-resident registration fee's and have one flat fee.
In Maine I've seen first hand that none-residents appreciate the trails and all that is done to keep them up, more than residents do.
This is evident by the people you see show up when work needs to be done and the majority are none-residents, many like us having to drive 4+ hours and paying over $100 in fuel to make the round trip.
Maine has chosen to keep their resident snowmobile and ATV registrations at less then HALF of what none-residents pay and the MSA supports this and in fact advocates for keeping it this way.
As a tax paying none-resident who has done everything to support clubs except drive a groomer I have a serious problem with this.
So I've contacted the MSA and let them know that until something is done I will pay my Maine property taxes and my $89 registration while residents pay $43, but I do no more. No more joining a club, no more dropping money in the trail fund jar and not one hour of services.
The higher ups who make these decisions need to realize that the people who don't live where they ride as a whole appreciate and are willing to help more then the residents are.

But other then that I do not think none-residents should be allowed to vote in local elections.