View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #30
itchin for fishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Don't get me going on dentists.

I assume all are honest, right?

Two dentists in two different states. One in Meredith and one in Arizona.

Different time periods. Within 2 years.

I went in for a simple cleaning with technician in Meredith. The dentist comes in in the end and states that I require over $2,000.00 in dental work. Forget exact words but something like deep gum cleaning or possibly periodontal disease or some such condition.

Later the one in Arizona - again - a cleaning - the dentist comes in and states same or similiar wording. This time I ask for a written estimate. About $3,200.00.

Fortunately I have a high school friend who is a dentist. A 3 hour drive. I make appointment with him. Drive down. He exams me and states that what other dentists are asking for is not needed.

Did I stumble across two dentists that are seeking financial gain needlessly?

Is my high school dentist friend incompetent?
I'm a NH dentist and can honestly say I have seen and heard your story before. Chances are if you had two dentists who came up with similar but different treatment plans than your friend, your friend may not be doing you a favor. There are times where dentists believe they are doing good by saving someone money but in the end, (years down the road), end up costing the patient much more money. Many times, these are also dentists who do not keep up with good continuing education.

I will say that if I practiced using the same methods and techniques today that I learned 25 years ago when I graduated, it would be malpractice! As I write this, I am out in hot Arizona learning and updating techniques that many feel I know very well. You can't become complacent if you want to do your best for your patients.

Let me touch on fees, as it is frustrating. The cost to deliver dental care is very expensive. Whenever I get new staff member and they see invoices and what it costs to operate a practice they are shocked. We are subject to many regulations that increase the costs of care. Also, FLL, dentists go to school for 8 years: 4 undergraduate and 4 for dental school. Many dentists also do a year residency before going into practice and of course, as I noted, continuing education is ongoing. It is typical upon graduation for a dentist to have educational debts of $400,000. Don't even ask what it costs to start a practice.

There have been many excellent dentists mentioned in this thread. I will finish by saying that dental disease is preventable. True, if you already have had dental work, it will eventually need replacement. No matter how good the work, it does wear out. So the best thing you can do reduce your dental cost is practice prevention. Most of my patients just need to do prevention and it costs them less than $400 per year. How much do you spend on food, clothing or grooming? You use your teeth every single day for eating, speaking and of course smiling!

Message me if you have any questions.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itchin for fishin For This Useful Post: