View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 12:00 AM   #19
CanisLupusArctos

Mary S, for weather models, I provide links to several models sites on the Winnipesaukee WeatherCenter page. On the menu bar you'll see "Computer Models" near the bottom. One of the pages I've listed is the Unisys page. I first learned with Unisys's representation of the models because they're very simple and more colorful compared to some of the others. As you gain experience you'll probably start to find them simplistic or incomplete, but I still use them for quick-looks.

My opinion on the storm remains that this will continue to be a problem for forecasters since it is the first storm in our new weather pattern (i.e. "Return of Winter"). Even with the snow already on the radar, there continues to be disagreement in the models... though not as much as there was. There's a more offshore track and a more inland track. Which one to bet on... which onnnnne to bet on.......

I'll go for an average of 8 inches around Center Harbor, and 11 inches Alton, with 12-14" likely in the seacoast area. There may be local enhancement of the snow on the northern slopes of the Ossipees and Belknap Ranges during the day tomorrow, resulting in 2-3 additional inches there. Just a possibility but enough of a chance to mention.

This will start between 3 am and 5 a.m. in the Lakes Region, and we can expect the first inch to be on the ground by 8 am. The heaviest snow will fall between 10 am and 4 pm. but will continue to accumulate (just less aggressively) after that.

The leftover moisture could linger in the northern mountains (accumulating) when the winds turn NW and the storm has cleared everywhere else. The mountains may get 2-3 inches more on Tuesday morning...especially at the summits... while the rest of us are starting to clear out.

This situation looks like it's trying to repeat itself for Friday. Currently it looks like it has a chance to come further inland which would be a snow-to-ice scenario. Let's hope it stays just far enough offshore to give us snow... we had enough ice 10 years ago!

...Note to mountain interests next weekend...

If you have plans in the mountains (especially hiking or other wilderness activities) please stay tuned to forecasts this week for extreme cold. It's still too early to say just how cold, but early signs are suggesting daytime temps hovering around zero F at the bases (-20 at the summits) with some pretty strong NW winds making it feel even colder... looks like a set-up for "Summits in the clouds" as well. More details as the week progresses...

...Football...

Looks like extreme cold will be greeting San Diego when they come to Foxborough next weekend.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote