View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
ghfromaltonbay

Default Avoiding NYC while heading south

Jellybean,

I've made the trip from northern NJ to Alton Bay, NH for over 30 years and have found that the quickest route from CT south which avoids NY city is:

84 to East Hartford
91 South to Merritt Pkwy (Route 15) in Meriden CT.
Merritt Pkway to Exit 26 (Rt. 287) across the Tappan Zee Bridge
the Garden State Parkway is only 6 miles from the bridge and saves a ton of tolls over taking 95 to the NJ Turnpike.

Taking the Merritt Parkway vs. 84 also saves 11 miles off the odometer and there are no trucks on the Merritt.

The radio station to listen to is CBS AM (880 on the am dial). This is the sister station to WBZ and gives traffic and weather reports every 10 minutes on the 8's instead of the 3's like on WBZ. They cover southern CT, NY and NJ traffic and weather conditions.

Right now there are no big events scheduled for NY this coming weekend, but I tried taking 95 south to the thruway and the George Washington Bridge. What a terrible ride, the roads through Yonkers and NY city were the pits and the traffic at the bridge was bad even late in the evening. Good luck on your trip. I myself will be heading to Limerick PA that morning. Hope by then all this rain has stopped. We've had 7+ inches so far, and I'm tired of using the wet/dry vac in my basement. I've already emptied it 4 or 5 times so it's close to 20 gallons.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote