Thread: New GPS Watch
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2023, 03:54 PM   #12
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Update: I did not know that Garmin makes two options similar to the Epix but more specialized.

The Mach 1 is for aviators.

The Quatix 7, which some people here might be interested in, is the marine version. It has sailing/boating features built in and (I'm not sure if the Epix can do this) the option to install Garmin's Lakevu maps. That's a pretty cool backup!

Edited to add: though I didn't install the Lakevu maps, I played around a bit to see how it might look, and I think the watch is just too small to be legitimately useful.

Trails work because they're a singular line with only a certain radius to be concerned about. When looking at a larger area, however (other than just finding the location), the display seems too small.

For data, though—tides, weather, wind direction/speed, pacing, etc.—it might be useful.

I'd be interested to know if anyone uses a watch for this purpose.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
This is interesting. I have an Apple Watch that has similar capability for land, although I do not know how it would work on water or hiking trails--maybe some but not others? I can ask my watch orally for walking directions and it will plot the route and vibrate on my wrist at each turn. Then when you look at the watch it will say something like "turn left in 100'". So the size of the display is irrelevant, at least for the most important info. Easy to see how this could be combined with Garmin data
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote