View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #60
SailinAway

Default Subaru, Scion, KIA Soul

Some years ago a friend had a Subaru Forester with failed head gaskets at 80,000 miles. I helped her buy parts for the repair. It was a total nightmare trying to figure out the cause of this chronic problem and what parts she needed---you can't just go to a parts store and accept what they give you, you have to know the year the parts were manufactured and the serial number or some such thing (I can't remember precisely) because parts in storage may have the same gasket problem. The service manager at my garage had been the parts manager at a Subaru dealer. He told me that Subaru claimed this problem had been solved, but that it never was.

A couple of years ago I had a Scion xA that I loved---very convenient and reliable. When I had to replace it I did a ton of research on hatchbacks and subcompact SUVs, read a great many consumer and professional reviews. My priorities were large cargo space in a small package and mechanical reliability.

After several days of research, the KIA Soul topped my list---lots of cargo space and excellent mechanical reliability ratings. I couldn't find one I liked (the colors are boring and weird, like "Alien Green"). I'm still hoping this will be my next car and they've improved the colors if you can afford a new one.

Second on my list was the Chevy Sonic (hatchback). I never wanted to buy an American car, but I couldn't find anything else at the time. I've had a Sonic for a year and a half now and it has been extremely reliable. Purchased it with 70,000 miles and it has had no mechanical failures at all. In fact, the Sonic rates better than well-known cars like the Honda Fit for mechanical reliability. Reviews say, and I agree, that it drives like a larger, more solid car.

The other cars on my list, in descending order of desirability, were:

Nissan Versa Note
Honda Fit
Scion xD
Hyundai Elantra GT
Mitsubishi Mirage
Chevy Spark

The last 3 weren't seriously in the running. I suggest investigating the KIA Soul.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote