View Single Post
Old 01-16-2022, 09:13 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Interesting perspective.

I see it as a preference. After 56 years of New England winters I gave my snowblower away and have not looked back. I realized that I had spent half of every year wishing it would be summer again. In past years, I have skied, and owned several snowmobiles but that was really just to pass the time until summer came back.

I really enjoy being on the water and and warm and sunny weather and now that opportunity is available 12 months a year. It is definitely a choice that I am glad I made. There is a reason they call Florida "God's Waiting Room".

You don't hear of many people from the southern states retiring and going to New England for their retirement years. You do hear of many northern people getting Seasonal Affective Disorder from the weather and cloudy gray skies.

To each their own.
This is a matter of psychology. Those who prosper in cold climates, such as those in Scandinavian countries (who have much lower rates of seasonal depression), have a different perspective: the weather allows them to do activities that warm weather doesn't.

For example, you appreciate that warm weather allows you to boat while I appreciate that cold weather allows me to winter hike, snowshoe, ice skate, take sleigh rides, tube and ski, sit by a warm fire and drink hot cocoa, etc.

Add to that that Florida is so goddamn flat—precluding mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, etc.—and there's not much to do other than be hot and old.

JK, of course, but people definitely have to find their happiness...and mindset is a major aspect of that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: