View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 11:06 PM   #36
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post
Marinewife, and for anyone else with automatic whole house generators. I suggest that you change your exercise schedule to occur every two weeks, but run for at least 30 minutes.
The purpose of those scheduled runs is three fold, to keep fuel from stagnating, to keep the starter battery charged up, and to drive moistuire out of the engine oil. A weekly short run can actually cause more harm than good both becuae it doesn't fully charge the battery to the desired float condition and becuase it won't generate enogh heat the oil enough to vaporize any condensation that may have built up. Additionally, if possible set your exercise run to occur at a time when your home's energy consumption would be high, this usually means early morning or early evening. That way the energy produced by the gen during your exercise run will be self consumed in the house and be worthy
My (Dayton) genset has been exercising weekly since 2004. no problems. I've always thought the battery was on a trickle charger. I've only replaced it once. I don't know where the power goes during exercise, but we never see any evidence of a surge or other activity when we hear the genset start or stop the way it does when it goes on/off for loss of power in the street. I can start and run the genset on m y boat without hitting the switch to actually power anything, so I'm not powering anything or feed back into the grid. Why would I think my home generator is powering anything during the exercise period?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote