View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 01:15 PM   #18
ApS

Lightbulb Oversized Pipe, Smoke, and Occam's Razor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Any idea what could be causing this poor indoor air? The only other clue I have is that to create the holes for the damper rod, the guy used a 22 pistol. Hence the rod is bent slightly.
1) Our Irish "Trinity III" woodstove is nearly twice as big, yet our six-inch pipe has worked quite well for 25 years. Your undetermined starting stovepipe is pictured adapting to an even larger pipe behind the bricks. (Bricks which I hope, are not of the hollow variety).

2) Only because I had a free damper, did I install one. It was omitted during a recent retrofit--with no gain of function detected--ever. I'd remove yours.

3) Our local Florida fire department used some kind of portable smoke/heat device to determine my smoke issue. The smoke was caused by sparks from a grinding operation which entered a seam into the roof's interior. (I'd soaked the area, but some combustion was still evident).

4) My concern would be that NH's Fire Departments may refer fines for code violations, which tend to become increasingly restrictive. (Canada's even more so).

BTW, should a fire start burning the creosote inside the pipe, the "fix" is to shut all the airflow into the stove. (Similar to closing the hood on an automobile's engine fire).