View Single Post
Old 01-03-2022, 05:37 PM   #19
fatlazyless

Question .... is swimming under the ice impossible?

Here's a 2:42 video that shows 40-year old Russian woman from Moscow, Yekaterina Nekrasova swimming for 90-seconds a distance of 279-feet under the ice in Lake Baikal, Siberia on January 7, 2021. The water temp is estimated by me to be about 33.5 degrees, and the air temp was reported to be -6 degrees.

https://swimswam.com/watch-russias-n...-world-record/ ... watch Yekaterina Nekrasova break ice swimming world record, January 7, 2021

What she wore was a Speedo swim suit, a Tyr swim cap, a face mask that covers eyes and nose, a wrist watch, and a padded ring handle around her neck which I assume is an emergency handle in case she blacks out and the safety diver needs to grab it and bring her to the surface, fast. There's NO swim flippers in use on her feet.

This video looks like the real deal, and seeing her swim under the ice is very impressive and amazing to me for a person to be able to do this. So's, how about that. Don't believe it when you are told that swimming in icy cold water is an instant killer. What can kill in maybe 30-60 seconds is inhaling water and drowning. As long as you do not inhale any water, a healthy person can survive in the icy cold water for, I think, about one hour before suffering a heart attack and dying.

Best advice: cover your mouth and nose with your hand to keep the water out while you survive an ice water plunge and get it in control.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-03-2022 at 06:13 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote