View Single Post
Old 03-11-2023, 05:48 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
We stick built our 16x16’ 2 years ago when we did our reno. It’s 2x6 construction, cathedral ceiling with a structural ridge so we didn’t need collar ties. Finished outside with matching shakes, a metal roof and sitting porch. The inside is all prefinished tongue and groove pine and lvp flooring. We definitely went overboard.

Are you keeping the same footprint, expanding and/or relocating? You would need to get into a Shoreland permit depending on how far back it is, as well as a town building permit.

Bunk houses are not permitted, so make it a shed and finish after inspected. No rules against having a really “nice shed”.

I think when I was doing my research Post Woodworking would bring one out in panelized form if you provided the barge.
Good info. Thank you. My impression from the Town Hall was that anything over 160 sf, regardless of purpose, needs a permit. They also implied that if there were certain features, such as plumbing, it might be considered a second residence and be obstructed by the limit of one residence for 150' of frontage.
This will be a new structure, so little to do with using the old footprint, although it will go where we had a 6 x 8 tool shed which captured a tree a winter ago. The squirrels will be upset to see that go.
For me, bunkhouse means no insulation, interior finish, lvt. It will probably be used only a few weeks a month in season.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote