View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #252
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
OCD, there are cost, performance and noise tradeoffs. Within reason you can have the same power with less noise by spending more. But that also adds weight so you loose useful performance. All this just makes tuning the boat more interesting.

The problem with noisy boats is that the exhaust and noise points the wrong way. In order to get a nice strong sound for the driver, people behind the boat have to deal with rediculous noise.

I know the law has change with regards to measuring, but I still don't see any enforcement. I was in the Weirs channel behind a boat this spring and at idle I could not hear people talking in my boat.

The MP need a sound gun. You point it at the boat, it measures the noise and distance, calculates the effective sound and presto, pass or fail.
I do agree with you that it can be done at a price. I did put on some of the heavier / costly mufflers. They have no moving parts so that it does not cause unnecessary back flow, however they do keep the sound below the legal limits. The only issue is that they stick out close to 18 inches and almost got in the way of my hydro steering.

What I am driving at is it can be done to current standards, however it can become very difficult if not impossible to go lower based on manufactoring standards.

I agree we need more enforcement, but I disagree that nothing is being done. I have seen 2 times in the past year that people were questioned due to their pipes. (not my boat) but I was in one that was.

Also, in one case they were sent to have it tested.

Somewhat ironic however, one testing element is to go by a dock at full throttle with an MP officer in your boat while it is being measured at the dock.
Why measure at full throttle if it is over 45mph?

Isn't that Nonapplicable now?