View Single Post
Old 06-01-2022, 08:26 AM   #12
Jerry

Default Island water system

When we bought our camp some 30 years ago it had a UV set up on the water coming from the pump in our boathouse. I found that the problem with UV is that any sediment in the water or dirt on the transparent sleeve surrounding the UV light casts a shadow, with the result that the UV system does not do anything to clean or disinfect the water which is in the shadow. So it is hit and miss, with lots of misses. I was not enthusiastic about hauling gallons of drinking water over to our camp, nor about drinking untreated lake water given the growing bacteria levels in the lake and the discharge of oil and gas (and frankly some sewage) into the lake. So this is what we did. We put two 9" sediment filters on the outbound pipe from our pump, with 20 micron and 5 micron filters in place (these are really inexpensive filters -- $2-$3 a piece --) and they last for around half the season. Then at the sinks, we installed Seagull filters which take everything out that you do not want to drink -- bacteria, viruses, organic chemicals, parasites. These filters are expensive but usually last more than a season. We don't treat water that goes to the washing machine, the toilet, for dishwashing, etc. Only for drinking and toothbrushing. You can find info on those filters at https://generalecology.com/ and they are sold as well on Amazon. I think there are some cheaper versions now on the market, which may be good, but I have not yet tried them. I know that the Seagull filters are really good and work, and have relied on them for years. Good luck.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote