View Single Post
Old 06-23-2023, 08:13 AM   #22
fatlazyless

Default ..... Corcoran's Pond, fecal bacteria, June 15, 2023 and counting

You know I would be swimming about 125-yards, this morning, June 23 in Corcoran's Pond, making a triangle route from shore to dam to shore, to the big rock, around the large swim raft in the middle of the pond except for the two yellow fecal bacteria warning signs posted into the shoreline on the town sandy beach by the NH-DES. "... the water is unsafe for wading or swimming" is what the two yellow signs say. The water temperature is estimated by me to be about 66-degree right now. I wear an O'Neill thermo top under a thin wet suit, swim vest with a foam noodle, swim belt for drowning safety in the cold water plus a hat and do the surface breast stroke.

Today is June 23, 2023. Information from clicking on the NH-DES Healthy Swimming Mapper reports that Corcoran's Pond was initially posted for fecal bacteria on June 15, resampled on June 21, with next resample on June 26, with new results shown on the Healthy Swimming Mapper on June 27, four days away.

Corcoran's Pond is a 7-acre resort pond with a dam, belongs to the Town of Waterville Valley which has a large, well groomed sandy beach that is open to anyone and everyone for free, with plenty of nearby free parking. This includes you!

In addition to swimming, the town runs a small boat, rent by-the-hour business with a fleet of about 25 kayaks, canoes, stand-up paddle boards, and six 4-5 person colorful pedal boats. Boats rental use is still available at this time while the pond appears to be closed to swimming with the two yellow warning signs posted into the sandy beach. I have not seen even one person wading or swimming since the two yellow DES signs got posted into the shoreline sand on June 15.

It is an extremely scenic 7-acre pond surrounded by a wooded shoreline, nearby mountains .... www.waterville.com .... and the white three-story commercial buildings at the town square and town dock plus the large indoor ice skating arena.

While there have been maybe two or four Canada geese that I have seen in recent weeks and months in Corcoran's Pond, that is a relatively small number so it is unknown to me what is causing the fecal bacteria? It is not a pond that attracts a large number of surface ducks and geese. It will have a small number, maybe six or eight birds, total, on the 7-acre water surface at any one time. So, what is causing the fecal bacteria to be present in Corcoran's Pond?

About three days ago the Waterville Valley Fire Dept was shooting a large stream of water from a fire truck way up into the air and into the waters of Corcoran's Pond. Whether or not that had anything to do with trying to eliminate the fecal bacteria is unknown to me?