View Single Post
Old 06-26-2023, 08:00 AM   #458
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
It was a close call.... We were coming out of Pier 19 marina today when a seaplane took off right in front of us. We had to turn to avoid him other wise we would have been coming across in front of him. He was not in our danger zone but he certainly was in our danger zone. He was in a stand by encounter situation. He didn't have any regard for the marine rules of the road. He is suppose to have a boating license because seaplanes what I have been told must obey boating regulations just like a boat. As he went by us you could tell he was looking up to take off. There was no way he could see what was in front of him. Two paddle boarders had to drop off their boards otherwise they too were in a potential run over by a seaplane.

What would you do in this situation? Wait till the seaplane returned to where he is picking up paying passengers to tell him what happened to you? Or just report the incident to marine patrol or even the FAA?
Just curious what would be the appropriate reporting agency?
If the incident needs to be reported, I would start with the Marine Patrol.... they can make the decision, or advise you if it needs to go the the FAA.... I would make sure you have the tail number of the plane, as that is its identifier.....