View Single Post
Old 01-06-2023, 05:30 PM   #75
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
On the subject of ensuring compliance with mental health treatment:

Many if not most of today's adults with a debilitating mental illness, be it organic or drug-induced, are savvy enough to apply for and receive gov't aid such as SSI, food stamps, and other benefits.

Medicine has advanced to the point that there are time released meds which if taken obviate the need for daily dosing, which the mentally ill eschew.

OK, now for the plan: require as a condition precedent that a mentally ill claimant physically go to a treatment center and be observed to take their monthly pills or med injections before getting the money: once they've been observed to comply with prescribed meds, release the money / benefits.

As it stands now the two are not linked: I see no good reason why they should not be.
The thing about many mentally ill people is that they don't do "links" they way you and I might see them. Your suggestion might be a small part of a solution but it doesn't recognise much of what mental illness is. My point is proven by how many people are on living on the streets with no government assistance.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post: