View Single Post
Old 01-03-2024, 12:06 PM   #34
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
From John Mercier:
"So the budget process has to start with constitutionally required costs... and raise funding for at least those...
That means at a bear (sic) minimum the Legislature must find $500M in revenue in other sources, I get lot of landowners to say ''I love being a donor community''.

Your basic language is wrong. The Legislature does not need to raise $500MM, they only need to allocate $500MM, if, in fact, that is the real number. ("M" is for thousand. If you want million, use "MM".) The budget year is after the even year election, i.e. 2025. 2024 is not a budget year. In most election years, about one third of the legislature turns over. Whatever spending bills are proposed for 2024 action, will be voted to be held over (and then re-filed) for a budget year.

Again, I apologize to the OP for following posts that go off course. Back to best town.

I pretty much grew up in Gilford and Laconia although technically not a full time resident(college, Navy). I always felt that if I were in Meredith or Alton, I had to go to Laconia/Gilford for services, or, in the case of Meredith, I had to find alternate routes in the summer. I still like Gilford.
Thank you for the correction on the abbreviation of MM instead of M.
The SWEPT is currently unconstitutional... barring any changes... the State cannot collect it come June - doesn't matter if it is a budget year.

The Legislature this year would need to change to collect and redistribute with donor community, or repeal/replace.

There is not $500MM (my estimate based on the current collection of the SWEPT and using a less efficient taxing mechanism) for the Legislature to cut from the expenditure of the unrestricted funds - the budget already having been past.

When it does the next budget... it may tweak the expenditure to recover the nearly $1 Billion for the two year cycle that budget will represent.

It may ask the stay of the courts... but they are going to expect some action on the situation rather than just pushing it off and continuing an unconstitutional situation.
John Mercier is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post: