View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 10:50 AM   #20
ursa minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO View Post
Glad I am not the only one with this complaint! I think a different shape or addition to distinguish the markers from each other is the best/easiest solution to implement that could actually happen. We were out quite a bit during dusk this past week on vacation and it became very apparent that it was difficult to distinguish the colors during that time period. Maybe a simple solution would be to wrap some white tape around the black markers in a spiral so the whit contrasts with the water/sky a bit better?
Great thought! In the days before the current PVC pipe spars wooden spars that tapered from roughly 4 x 4 to maybe 2" square at the very top were used, the tapering helped to float them upright I assume. All of the red and black spars were painted white with the corresponding color stripe about halfway up the visible part of the spar. They then added a band of reflective tape in the color band. These spars were way easier to see both night and day when they were in good condition. I assume the difference in cost of making and maintaining the wooden spars as compared to the current PVC ones was the determining factor. It would be great if they added the scotchbrite tape again though.

Edited to add: Solid red and black channel marker spars were painted entirely in the spar color but still had a reflective tape stripe to help see them at night if I'm remembering correctly.