View Single Post
Old 08-18-2023, 03:38 AM   #104
ApS

Exclamation 150-Feet Isn't Enough...Like Minnesota, Make It 300-Feet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Not sure we need to go down the speed limit rabbit hole again...A Sea Ray 500 can run approximately 35 knots WOT from what I saw on a test report from Boattest. The guy was drunk and not paying attention. I'd say he probably wasn't going overly fast otherwise the damage would have been more severe, as well as the increased likelihood of passenger injuries. Like it or not, he probably made the right choice for himself by disappearing that night. I am no expert but think that aggravated DWI along with a slew of other charges would carry a higher penalty than leaving the scene and failure to report the accident. Insurance will kick in and make restitution, and other than being the most hated guy on the lake presently he will be free to do this again.
Explain why metal trim from the HackerCraft's deck are tangled in the Searay's prop. (And fabric--possibly the remains of PFDs from the HackerCraft).

I see it as the Searay launching itself off the permanent piling dock and shredding the Hackercraft on its way down. (Having angled itself off the keel to spare the other prop from equally severe damage: The HackerCraft acting like a floating cushion).

Subtracting 150' legal distance from each shore (to include boulders, wooden rafts, and that "permanent" bright red warning float), that "pinch-point" at Keewaydin Point is very tight for a 17-ton vessel to be traveling at such an inhumane speed--made even worse when two such craft are passing each other.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote