View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #32
pcmc

What a great thread!
I try to pay it forward when I can. Sometimes it's simply clearing the snow from our neighbors driveway or the snowbank after the plow goes by on its final pass.

Once I was in a Friendly's restaurant with my youngest son (10 at the time) and there was a family with 4 kids. The youngest of thier children was very active, crawling all over his dad, under the table, it seemed what ever he could do to keep thier attention.
Well, approximatly two months prior to this my Grand Mother passed away and left a small amount of money to the family members to make her proud by spending the money on others and no our own families.
My son and I agreed we thought these parents earned a dinner on us after working so hard to keep everyone else's dinners peaceful. We paid our bill, and theirs, on our way out the door and never looked back.

This past Christmas (2016) while sending out Christmas cards I wanted to pay it forward again. I went to a local restaurant near where I live, The Shady Glenn, in Manchester, CT. I bought 4, $50 gift certificates and sent them to people I felt,
1+2. Two families that touched my life when I was young and helped shape me. I haven't been in touch with them for quite some time, so this was a pleasant surprise.
3. One friend that helped me throughout the year with some mechanical projects without wanting anything in return.
4. One was a person in my town that expressed dealing with some tough times and forging on, on Facebook. I was moved by what was said and could relate to some of thier struggles. I sent them the last certificate and all I asked was that it was not mentioned on social media, they were simply to enjoy thier time together.

I will say about 12 years ago a person from Maine paid for my families dinner at a restaurant called Anthony's, in Vernon, CT. At least his license plate was from Maine. As he was driving away our waitress came over and said, "That gentleman just paid for your meal. He said you have beautiful family." All we could do was wave as he drove off.
I will never forget that day, and I will continue to pay it forward as many, and as often, as I can.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote