View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #11
MeredithMan

Default Free Lunch...

My daughter is a junior in college and was home on spring break a couple weeks ago. One day we went to the local pizza shop in our town for a couple slices for lunch. The shop is owned by a Greek immigrant family. Super people...very hard workers...in there 7 days a week, and they do a lot to support the HS athletics in our town. It seems most of the HS kids are in there after school every day sucking down pizza.

Anyway, as I ordered our slices, my daughter sat down at one of the tables. When I walked over to sit with her, there were two $5 bills on the table. She said, "Dad, this 10 bucks was on the floor under the table". I took the money and brought it over to the guy who owns the shop and told him we found the money under the table, in case someone realizes they dropped or forgot it and comes back to ask about it. I did this for two reasons: 1) It was the right thing to do; 2) I wanted to casually re-enforce the "right thing to do" message by my actions to my 21 year old daughter.

As I gave the owner of the shop the money, he looked at me dumbfounded. "I can't believe you didn't keep it", he said. "Thank you for your honesty. If no one claims it in a couple days, you get a free lunch the next time you come in".

I told him I didn't need a free lunch, but maybe a couple of the many HS kids that come into his shop might, and to put the money towards one of their lunches. He said, "you got it!"

Did it or will it happen? Who Knows....I'll probably never know....but my father taught me many, many years ago, you do something for someone because you WANT to and it's the right thing to do, not because you're looking for a thank you or something in return.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post: