View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 07:05 AM   #4
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I don't play the lottery, but I always thought it'd be cool to win and create a business that organically found people to help out. An example: was at the repair shop when a woman's car inspection was rejected for bald tires. She had a young child and started crying because she couldn't afford to replace them. How awesome would it have been to throw down a grand for tires and a gift certificate for future service and a few more hundred to hook the kid and mom up with some good times? No videos, pictures, or other virtue signaling--just wish them luck and ride off into the sunset. What a great life that would be.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
This post brings to mind a type of giving that I have considered to be a challenge.

That is, how to eliminate the middle man and also avoid being scammed.

For example, let's say I have a good running car that I no longer need and I wish to help out somebody by giving it to them. There are plenty of organizations willing to take my car but they have employees and advertising expenses. Does the car go to a person directly? Maybe.

I suspect that, back in the day, a local church pastor would know who is truely in need and if asked, could connect my car with the person.

Putting an ad on Craigslist for a free, inspection worthy car might draw many who are more in greed than in need.

Is there a way to do this?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post: