View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #16
jetskier

Post Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Jetskier,

Great suggestions! I will make one comment on your suggestion regarding following other tracks especially at night. My house is in Suissevale in Moultonborough over near Green's Basin. There have been a number of drownings there. the most recent was due to the two snowmobilers following other tracks, unfortunately they were the tracks of open water skimmers. So be careful of whose tracks you follow! Of course, alcohol, speed and lack of common sense were also mitigating factors in this case as well. One guy gunned it and crossed, the other panicked and died.
Hi VitaBene,

That is a very good point. It is prudent to also look at where the tracks are going. In general, snowmobiliers create track roads on the ice that indicate that the way is/was safe. Of course, that is no substitute for watching where you are going and being aware of the conditions. I find that the greater issue (than open water) is ice ridges. Ice ridges can form quickly and they are essentially a brick wall.

Skimming is just a bad idea. Of course, if you find yourself on soft ice or unexpected open water, then power is your friend.

Unfortunately, I think that most accidents are rooted in drinking and bad judgement...like everything else.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote