View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #65
tis

Thanked 1,388 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
How can anyone possibly have fun anymore if we all have to worry about 4" wakes, MP's "interpretation" of laws as they are written, who's the stand-on and give-way vessel in a clogged, busy channel, anchoring too close to shore or another boat in a no rafting zone, going more than 45mph on the largest lake in the State, etc., etc. Good God...we should just get rid of all powerboats and then the factions will be happy. But you can bet your bottom dollar that if this were to happen, people would still find something about kayaks, SUP's and sailboats to bitch about!

But back to the no wake law for a minute: In my opinion, the language is convoluted and should be changed. Does the language in this section"
VI. "Headway speed'' means 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way" mean that if a boat can be operated LESS than 6mph and can maintain steerage, then that's what has to happen? Or does it mean that 6mph is the max, but if you have to go faster to maintain steerage, then you are allowed to do so?

I don't think MP has the authority to make this determination. They can claim they do all day long, but do they really as a fact of law? It's a law as written, so it would be up to the court to determine this, or the legislature to correct the obviously convoluted, confusing language.

Labor Day is fast approaching, so soon everyone can forget boating and start complaining about cold weather.

I agree, the language should be changed to make it perfectly clear to all those who think they can interpret the law. But reading the law is like that to a non lawyer. Again, I have been told by the Capt. of MP that it HAS been determined by the court that no wake means no wake and when his officers has determined that a boater is breaking that law and taken it to court, the court has backed them up.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote