View Single Post
Old 03-17-2024, 10:56 AM   #43
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
So much to unpack.

Regarding Chauvin, watch the Fall of Minneapolis and watch the ENTIRE George Floyd video. Floyd was out of control and used the same (almost identical) tactics to get out of the situation that he used in 2018. Chauvin did his job by the book. His investigation and trial were a disgrace, but that shouldn't surprise us.

Regarding the Gilford situation, the policemen were placed on extended leave and were severely criticized in local and regional newspapers. Almost immediately, their motives and competency were placed into question. I am sure they went through hell, and the press and public opinion didn't help. They were not given the benefit of the doubt. At the end, they were just doing their job, and unfortunately, had to defend themselves and others on the scene.

And finally, regarding the homeless situation, I do not view throwing money and sympathy at the problem as compassion. I believe having a zero tolerance approach to the issue as the only way to solve it. That is the compassionate approach. We have spent more money than can be counted trying to solve this and other social issues, and things have become progressively worse.

Someone stated that it's always been this way, just that there is more coverage now. I respectfully disagree. Back in the day, there would be characters around Laconia. I remember Radar riding his tricycle to the Weirs, spinning stories of the CIA being after him. Notwithstanding, the level of degradation to where we are now is alarming. Ask a teacher what it is like in schools. In Meredith, a student identifying as a cat asked for a litter box. I was on the plane the other day, and a grown man had to have a plush toy to cope with flying. We are raising a generation of kids who unfortunately will be unable to cope with being an adult and doing adult things.

It's way worse now. The evidence is all around us. The only way we get back to where we were is adopting a conservative, traditionally American value system, where self-reliance, the value hard work and a having a strong family are taught. We've had 50+ years of liberal experimentation and all it's brought us is weakened family units, a lack of faith and a reliance of government to solve the problems it creates.

Just my 2 cents.
Not going to happen.
As I stated ex-Representative Littlefield lives in subsidized housing. He is seeking re-election and refuses to use the time he would spend in Concord on increasing his annual income at productive employment because he would lose his subsidized housing.

Its endemic in both parties.

I remember my grandfather shopping at Grossman's. A younger sales clerk saw him looking at something and wondered if he was trying to find the price. He explained, if he needed it... it didn't matter what it cost, he needed it; and if he didn't need it... it didn't matter what it cost, he didn't need it.

Since I only need shelter, water, and food as basics and year-round transportation as a means to stay productively employed... it isn't a life that most could live.

But the problem will expand... and moving them elsewhere would only result in them looking for a remote seldom used location were the basics of shelter, water, and food can be acquired.

In the area, those would be along the rail line and snowmobile trails.
The WOW trail being put in just exposed what had been happening in that area since we were kids in Laconia. Same goes for Hounsell in what used to be the Laconia Pits.

Movement up the WOW trail would put them someplace between the Lakeport intersection and SD/LB or maybe beyond SD/LB but before the Weirs Bridge.
Movement on Hounsell would put them someplace in Gilford? But could easily cause them to move to the State School property before that becomes built out, and then they would move up the trail toward the Meredith border.