View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #22
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
He was excited to live near a small airport. I understand and love small aircraft. But a lot of people don’t realize they are exempt of EPA requirements of lead free fuel. I was training for my pilots license about 15 years ago and when learned that they still used leaded fuel I couldn’t live with myself that I was poisoning the homes below for my pleasure and dropped out. I was flying out of a airport much more densely populated area. I was really bummed because it was an absolute blast.

It is low lead fuel (great improvement over the past) but it still has serious impact near the airports. Large Commercial planes do not use leaded fuel.
I honestly appreciate your approach and environmental awareness. I share it and am involved in renewable fuel through work. But the small plane unleaded fuel use is a drop in the bucket at most, and poses zero risk to the houses they are flying over. Yes, hopefully aviation will move to unleaded fuel, I assume Lycoming and other engine manufacturers have resisted, but it would not ever keep me from pursuing that if it was something I wanted to do.

Yes, jet fuel doesn't have lead (basically kerosene). But the pollution from commercial aviation is a real environmental issue, and a hard one to make a dent in, by comparison the small amount of leaded gas that is used is nowhere near the impact. JMO, I haven't done any research on this.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post: