View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #27
fatlazyless

At first I was think'n it be best for insurance to pay to repair the damages. Just look'n at it ...... a number like three thousand dollars to repair crosses my mind?

Today is Saturday morning, the hit & run smash-in happened on Wednesday morning ...... and now I'm think'n it could be better to get totaled out by Allstate ..... if I get a payment of say .... $2500 .... and can use it to go buy an identical car to what got hit.

My car is a 2013 Scion xB, with 193,000 miles, a 5-speed stick .... purchased brand new in May, 2014 from Irwin Toyota in Laconia for $15,200-cash.

Last August I was looking to trade it in for a 2016 Kia Soul, 45,000-mile, 5-speed stick, price $7000-cash .... at Irwin Hyundai in Laconia ..... except Irwin would only give me a three hundred dollar trade-in value, plus charge an additional $725 dealer prep fee, on top.

Finding the right 5-speed stick car is not so easy, any more.

If Allstate pays to repair, the xB will go to www.irwinautobody.com for repairing the two doors smash ..... I would probably be better off taking the smash to Irwin for repairs than looking for a used $6500 Scion xB-stick shift in Craigslist or someplace using the totaled payment.

That xB was/is one great little econo-box .... is being driven today with pretty good confidence ..... would not drive it to Boston, but is good to go for local-NH ....this car is not so little .... has a large windshield ..... you sit upright similar to a pickup .... lots of inside space .... right now, costs $22 to fill gas tank, and the dash says it averages 34.7 miles/gallon over it's 193,200 miles drive. Replacing the four 'riginal spark plugs will probably improve the gas mileage.

The Scion xB is a little bit bigger, and probably a whole lot better car than the Kia Soul.

By the way, Allstate in Meredith on Wednesday was immediately very helpful ..... took a number of photos, starting my claim .... in & out of there in like 15-minutes, for starters.

You know it seems to me that you are not really driving a car, what you are driving is an insurance policy.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-15-2020 at 11:45 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote