View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #24
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Are they snows? If so I apologize. But my statement is the same. What I was saying, and I wasn't trying to be nasty or mean, is that it was not a good day to be out on the road with anything less than snow tires. I just meant that if he had snows on it might have helped him a bit to not get in that situation. Sorry if you took it the wrong way. I feel very badly about his truck. I like my truck as well and would hate for that to happen to it or anyone's vehicle.
All season tires are a huge compromise in design. No they are NOT meant to be a snow tire. you can see this in the numerous accidents reported on the news. Do some reading on how well all season tires do in snow and most are not that good. Around here our roads are plowed so they are not really coated in snow. They are coated in packed down snow/slush which does not react as well as pure un-driven on snow. you need to know how a snow tire works to compare them to a real snow tire. Like I said even with my tires I was not that sure footed. That type of wet snow is treacherous. I can only imagine how people with summer tires or worn down all season tires were doing. Matter of fact I had to follow a few going up the hill on South Main Street in Wolfeboro during the storm. They couldn't even negotiate that small hill without using up 5 gallons of gas getting up the hill with their tires spinning at 80mph.

Al I was saying in my reply is that good winter tires help.
Thanks. My point was that you basically said that not having snows caused the accident, then later in the post you said that you have snows and were still slipping and sliding.

No, the tires are not snow tires. But in this cause, I doubt they would have prevented the accident.