View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Mink Islander

Default How close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
I don't mean this as an accusation, but how close were you following the truck? I'm guessing the thing fell out of the bed and bounced up at you? The logical side of my brain says that something weighing 4.6 kilos would fall out and generally tumble around the ground. Even in the bed of the truck it was probably barely at windshield height, so I'm guessing ( and by the sounds of it you may never know exactly) that it fell out, tumbled along the ground at 70ish MPH and caught a good bounce to meet your windshield.

Glad that your wife and family is OK. BTW, make sure your windshield is replaced with an OEM unit and the repair is done properly and not by some mobile truck hack. Properly installed, a windshield offers a lot of resistance to objects like you encountered. Improperly installed, they can make a bad situation worse by collapsing inward. Your side of the windshield staying intact was more design than miracle...
Well, the truck had passed me in the construction zone and had gotten several hundred yards ahead of me and was in the 2nd lane from the left. At the time of the accident there was no vehicle in front of me in the left lane for at least a couple hundred yards. I am only assuming the chock block came from the truck in the next lane over because how else to you explain it? I didn't see it tumbling toward me. I have this hypothesis that the chock block fell off the truck and was tumbling and bouncing in the road until it hit me (or I guess, I hit it). That's what's so weird. I was NOT in tight traffic when the impact happened. Reasonable spacing. Keep in mind this thing is made of hard tire RUBBER -- and hollow but weighing 10 pounds. I bet it was bouncing down the road like a super ball til we caught up to it and bam!

My wife's doing really well. The bruising is coming out in all its colors but she's avoided the hard pain relievers and has been comfortable with just the Motrin. We really dodged a bullet here. Every time I pick up the chock block I just shake my head and think about how much worse this could have been.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote