View Single Post
Old 02-16-2022, 11:39 AM   #61
lakewinnie

Default 250 foot setback - safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
I didn’t see any arguments around noise.

Most arguments were discomfort to those within tidal wave range and it was only asking the range be increased to 250ft

All those against were arguing $$$, mostly folks that sell the boats with really weak arguments.
I contrast this issue with the speed limit issue back in 2008 (I think that was the year). In my view, the speed limit got traction and passed because of 1) the perceived issue of safety and 2) a tragic accident that claimed the life of a woman as a result of a boat operator that had been drinking.

I still think the other key argument that should be made against wakeboats is safety of other boats in the vicinity of the huge waves. I've said this before - in all of my experience on the lake, I have never had a safety issue with boats going > 45 mph, but have had some scary calls with wakeboat waves. If safety is really an issue, I think the wakeboats are by far more of an issue than boats going > 45 mph or the occasional cabin monster that is running in a straight line.

So I have a question on the proposed House Bill - is the 250 foot setback only applicable to the nearest land/shore, or would it also apply to other boats (i.e., would it supersede the 150 foot rule for the wakeboard boat)?
lakewinnie is offline   Reply With Quote