View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #301
Evenstar

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Yes, this is a law based on fear, hate and deception, which was why so many were against it.
This law is based on safely and on the common sense. Powerboaters who feel that it is their "right" to travel at unlimited speeds on the lake has made winni dangerous for other boaters. It is as simple as that. There is no conspiracy.

Quote:
Proponents had no problem in curbing the unalienable right for the pursuit of happiness (going 60 mph in a bass boat) to alleviate the hysterical fear of being run over, hate of the big loud boats and deception about what the lake's real problems are.

Traveling at unlimited speeds on a lake is not an inalienable right. You do not have the right to pursue your own happiness when your actions violate the rights of others. That would be anarchy.

Being nearly run over by a high-speed power boater is not "hysterical fear" - it is fear for your life - and it is very real.

I do not hate any types of boats and I have never tried to deceive anyone. I have never suggested that boats traveling at high speed are the only safety problem on the lake - but is most certainly one of the problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Now it's up to us to change the momentumof these fear mongers; otherwise they'll just keep on keepin' on.
The danger of kayaking on the main lake while power boaters are allowed to travel at unlimited speeds is very real, no matter how much you try to dismiss it. Most people who have paddled on the main lake (or on any large lake) understand the need for a speed limit. Most of the opponents of the speed limt have never even paddled on the main lake, so they have no idea why we feel that high speeds are unsafe. Months ago I challenged anyone here to join me kayaking on the main lake - yet no one has had the courage to accept my challenge. Yet you all continue to dismiss my close calls on the lake as "unfounded" - put a paddle where your mouth is - and then perhaps you'll understand the danger.

Quote:
These spineless, noodleback hacks in Concord (yes, I mean you Governor and you State Reps and Senators that fell for this BS) need to be voted out of office. They are destroying this State and what it stands for.
I talked with many of the Senators and Representatives who voted for the speed limit. I attended and testified at the House Transportation Committee Hearing, and I listened to the entire Senate debate on the bill. In my opinion, the BS was being pushed by those opposed to the bill.

NH law states in RSA 270:1:II:
Quote:
"In the interest of maintaining the residential, recreational and scenic values which New Hampshire public waters provide to residents of the state and to the promotion of our tourist industry, and in light of the fact that competing uses for the enjoyment of these waters, if not regulated for the benefit of all users, may diminish the value to be derived from them, it is hereby declared that the public waters of New Hampshire shall be maintained and regulated in such way as to provide for the safe and mutual enjoyment of a variety of uses, both from the shore and from water-borne conveyances. Such provisions shall take into consideration the following: the variety of special uses appropriate to our lakes, public safety, protection of environment and water quality, and the continued nurture of New Hampshire's threatened and endangered species."
Most of the member of the Legislature who voted for the bill were doing so base on what this NH law states and because of the testimony of residents. That is their job.