View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 03:10 AM   #6
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Hopefully you have a bolt on OD unit.

A transmission shop owner told me a long time ago to leave OD off if driving less than 50 MPH; said it would make the OD last much longer. When I had to have my transmission rebuilt after 12 years (much of it towing my 7400 LB boat/trailer), the OD unit was still in great condition and it did not have to be repaired.
From my understanding of how this transmission operates. When you push in the tow & haul button it drops the tranny down into lower gears but also keeps the torque converter from locking up. I only put it in tow & haul when towing my dump trailer and when plowing. Other then that I have always just left it in the normal drive mode.
2004 with over 130K on it, been plowing 11 or 12 years, towing boats and work trailers, I'd say it's been doing OK. Now if ford could make a truck that didn't rot out I'd be more inclined to buy a new one instead of keeping this and replacing my commuter vehicle.