View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #25
BillJohn

Default Docking

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
The overwhelming problem at the Wolfeboro docks is the boat drivers themselves. I have spent a lot of time around these docks watching boat drivers do some incredibly dumb things, and I feel very confident in saying that at no time did the docks themselves move, or cause any of the problems. If a boat captain doesn't know how dock his boat, he shouldn't be driving, if a boat captain is not able to turn around, he shouldn't be driving. Some of these captains don't understand that going very slowly is appropriate when in a tight situation.

I like the idea of maybe "Y-ing" out the extensions, but this shouldn't relieve the captain of knowing how to be a captain.
I recall watching someone having a terrible time docking so I ran over to help. I told them to throw their lines and both looked at me as if I said something in another language so I said your ropes. Both replied we did not bring any. I just walked away.

On another occasion, a pontoon boat could not dock, managed to get himself bow to dock as people rushed to help. What does the captain do? He goes full throttle into the dock. Luckily no one was hurt.

I guess we all had to learn somewhere.
BillJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BillJohn For This Useful Post: