Thread: Trespassing
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2023, 02:12 PM   #67
54fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Other taxpayers do subsidize CU... since the lower assessments transfer burden to other... just the local voters do not have a say like other exemptions and credits.

CU does not denote access by anyone... so really not relevant to the trespass issue.

The State placing the onus on private property owners is historical. I would find it odd that stating NH is a traditional conservative-leaning State, that one would think that it would readily change historical tradition dating back before the State existed.

To affect change, one must either make a compromise, or accept the status quo.
I wasn’t suggesting that there was no subsidy, only that the subsidy does not give rise to a right in others. Presumably, there is a public policy behind CU as there is behind everything subsidized by property taxes.

Agreed.

I wasn’t suggesting that the onus be changed. I was merely stating that one element of that requirement seemed odd (as I have yet to hear any compelling rationale for it). But perhaps the requirement to name the owner and provide the owner’s address also predates statehood and the justification is historical precedent.
54fighting is offline   Reply With Quote