Thread: Trespassing
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2023, 05:09 PM   #59
Descant

Thanked 1,519 Times in 985 Posts

I generally agree with John Mercier's approach and appreciate his experience. Several decades ago, I was a Selectman and we approved "intent to cut" tax forms and hired a town forester to audit the cut to be sure we got proper revenue. Maybe that has changed? As one of the most heavily forested states in the country, I think there are many reasons to have (timber)land in current use. Tree Farming is certainly one, and as you drive around, I think you'll see as many Tree Farm parcels as you do no trespassing parcels. When Jeanne Shaheen was Governor, the state bought 1MM acres of forest land, put a conservation easement on it and resold it. As I recall, this was to protect our forest products industries, as well as to protect the land for open recreation. There are many conservation minded individuals in NH who join with others to put tracts of land into conservation and CU to preserve it for future generations. Some publicly owned land has a third party holding the conservation easement so that future voters can't go to Town Meeting and sell the property, or develop it. "Low value" land is more likely to be wetlands, which have separate set of protections.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post: