Thread: Trespassing
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 04:50 PM   #56
54fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Though off the trespass subject.
CU does reduce the tax base, in that for the most part those entering land into CU intend to keep it there for several years/decades.

I once determined that it takes roughly seven years to break even, but that was several years ago.

CU II (Recreation) only lowers the result by 20%.
So if the CU taxes as an example are $30, CU II would only lower them $6.

Hunting is more promoted because farmers (timber or otherwise) use their services as a means of pest control. White tail can do a lot of damage. Even on smaller lots (CU actually will cover any size lot if the agricultural income requirement is met), bow hunters are sought out.
I’m not convinced that any reduction is significant. In addition, the towns are receiving a benefit and that benefit is not that land in current use is available to the public. The State and the Towns aren’t promoting current use because they want to do people who own more than 10 acres a solid. I imagine the majority of land in current has a very low value and would make a very minor contribution to the tax base. Why would anyone leave valuable property in current use for decades? As values increase over time, there is an incentive to pull land out of current use, and if that land is to be developed the 10% penalty on the value when withdrawn from current use will be significant. But all this aside, I’m not buying the argument that the public at large has an interest in someone’s property because it is in current use.
54fighting is offline   Reply With Quote