Thread: Nonsense
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 10:15 PM   #20
Crusty

Reading the comments, I forgot this wasn't Facebook.

Having said that, let me put my oar in.

I see three problems:
1) The US won't permit it.
2) The residents of NH won't permit it.
3) It's totally impractical.

Assuming the Grand Duchy of New Hampshire (it will need a new, pompous name) does secede, the residents will need to decide if they are going to be citizens of the US or GDNH. I'm not sure how many will want to give up their Social Security or Medicare. Even if they remain US citizens, Medicare won't cover you in a foreign country. GDNH will immediately need a steep income tax to replace the revenue they currently get from liquor sales to out-of-state purchasers; Mass residents won't care to get passports and visas to buy cheap liquor when they'll have to declare it at customs and pay the Mass liquor tax on the imports.

Big building boom in Concord, though. Thousands of new government employees to house. Lot's of ambassadors to appoint, a Constitution to devise --or maybe a true democracy, with everyone voting on everything over the Internet.

Will GDNH residents continue to drive on the right side? Perhaps they'll want to change to the left. It would make it easier for people to know when they've crossed the border.

Don't forget a national anthem. The National Guard can serve as the Army and there are lots of planes and pilots that can be drafted. Where's the Navy going to be based? Especially since Maine is not going to stand for being the newest non-contiguous state.

Well this has been a bit of fun. The scary part is that there are people who are actually serious (I assume) about this.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post: