View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
As a kid, I remember hearing that after the great hurricane in 1938 there was a lot of activity around the lake to try and salvage as much of the fallen timber before the bugs got to it. The solution was to get the logs into the lake and raft them to wherever they could be sawed into lumber. Supply vs. demand being what it is, a lot of those logs stayed in the lake and sank before they got towed to a mill. On a sunny day, you may still be able to see them on the bottom around the Barbers Pole. I know we could see them a "few" years ago...

Lilly Pond is loaded with poles. They dumped the poles from the '38 hurricane in the pond to prevent insects rot. A sawmill was built at the corner where Miles Marine located. Unfortunately there was no demand, the sawmill folded and Lily Pond is still filled with logs. It is very dangerous to swim or walk in the pond. The mercury content is high so no fishing.

I was told it was the same situation at Lees Mill. Lots of logs found in that vicinity. Perhaps the logs from around the lake passed through the Barber's pole to Lees Mill. Boulia Gorrell was on Paugus Bay and received a good share of poles and shipped them elsewhere on the old Lake Shore Railroad.