Thread: Haying
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
bclaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
When we got to the barn, a big "Claw" gizmo would come down from the peak of the roof of the three story barn and hook the loose hay off the wagon and take it Up and drop it in the barn.

Later in the fall, or maybe winter, Us kids would like to go into the barn and climb up HIGH inside the post and beam barn... and Jump down into the loose hay sometimes three storys below. The farmer didn't like us to do that and told us...IF we DID that..the cows would smell our human scent on the hay and wouldn't eat it.

After I grew up I figured the farmer was just concerned that when we landed in the hay.. we might land Wrong and be injured. NB

PS: In those days (Late 40s...) a Law Suit for injurys was not a big priority in most peoples minds.
When I was a kid in the 30's, a family moved to New York during the depression and the barn was left open. all of us kids would play in the barn. Someone had detacbed the rope used with the claw and tied it to the rail and we used to use it to swing from one hay mow to the other. I was lucky to be the last one to try it. The rope broke and I ended up straddling an 18 inch long peg used to hang harness. I was lucky not to do any damage.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote