View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #41
Biggd

Thanked 1,072 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
But back to the radiators.

In the olden days - there was a radiator repair shop in every city. Laconia had one. On South Main Street just before the Belmont Road split.
Radiators were steel and would rust. Engines were mostly cast iron and did rust.

Today we have aluminum radiators and most engines are aluminum alloy.
So the rust issues is minimized.

And with the newer cars there is not even a radiator cap. Just some plastic box.

I have had the fluid/radiator flushed on my car.

At minimum when oil is changed one should at least have the antifreeze checked for temperature.

Has anyone here had the antifreeze changed in vehicles?
I'm 63 years old and as far back as I can remember radiators were never steel,
They were copper or brass or both and they did not rust. They were repaired with solder just as in soldering a copper or brass plumbing fitting. The rust came from the cast iron blocks rusting not the radiators. I thought you have 45 years in the automotive trade? If that's true you should known that. Radiators are now made of aluminum and plastic for less cost and less weight. They are so cheap to buy new that they aren't worth repairing. If you have ever taken an old copper and brass radiator to the scrap yard you know costs of those materials are out of sight. An old copper or brass radiator will bring almost as much money in scrap as the wholesale cost of a new aluminum and plastic radiator.

Last edited by Biggd; 12-28-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote