View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOXIE View Post
I repair a lot of rusted frames, brake lines, ect. Since the New England states have been using calcium chloride with salt, the rust issues have gotten worse.
Not everyone can afford to drive cars and trucks that are newer than 10yrs. Some cars have rust resistant brake lines but not all.
To; jcr about oil in the lake, How many 2stroke outboards are on the lake?? For every 50 gallons of gas they burn, they dump 1 gallon of oil directly in the lake. I don,t like it any more than you do.
MOXIE
I understand that many people can't afford new cars... I haven't always had new cars.... most of the cars I mention I bought used. Except of course my 2004 Silverado....

Things like brake lines and exhaust which fail due to corrosion, are part of normal maintenance on an older vehicle yes oiling those may get another year or two, but I think that most often you will find this practice doesn't buy you much more time. All cars I mentioned above had original brake lines and they where still in good condition.

The frame of the car is what you are most concerned with preserving... once again this is where regular undercarriage washes through out the winter pay off. Oiling may slow the rust some, but it isn't going to prevent it....

Last where did you get your figure of 50 gallons of gas equals 1 gallon of oil into the lake for a two stroke engine.... This is false.... I see your basing the idea on the ratio for most 2 stroke engines of 50:1..... The truth is the oil is mixed with the gas and burned. If someone is seeing large quantities of oil coming out of there two stroke exhaust something is wrong. I will admit two strokes aren't the most environmentally friendly engines. But they are not polluting machines either.

Bottom line here don't use a scare tactic, not based in FACT, to justify the practice of oiling the undercarriage of a car. Done right and away from the lake I don't have an issue with people oiling the underside of the car.... because yes a crap load of oil from roadways finds it ways into the water regardless. I just don't think it is necessary or as effective as people want to believe.