View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
Major

Default Couldn't Disagree More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
Lots of pro speed limit people on the lake had "skin in the game", myself included. Contrary to what some of the SL opponents have parroted, safety was only one of many reasons for WinnFABS to push for a SL. And from where we live the difference after the speed limit was like night and day. Considerably fewer boats, many trailered here, screaming past you at 70+MPH only 150' away. It was unpleasant and the reputation of the lake suffered (a Boston newspaper had a scathing review of what the lake had become). Just like no one wants to picnic on the median strip of I-93, so too people felt that the lake was far less enjoyable because of a minority of boats that had a disproportionate presence on the lake. Furthermore, by large margin, polls showed that the people of NH as well as people locally favored speed limits as did the majority of our local state legislators in the Lake's Region. Sign ins at the State House hearings were similarly pro SL by a large margin. And contrary to what the go fast be loud crowd theorized, the economy of the Lake's Region did not go down the toilet.
Having been on the lake all my life it is a pleasure to see how people got together to make the lake a more pleasurable destination. These same people would/will go to all lengths to defend the speed limit which in my opinion saved the lake. And no, having been here all my life I'm not moving to "Golden Pond" so save your breath. For the last 8 years families have reclaimed the lake and I'm pleased with the outcome.
There are as many "go fast be loud" boats on the lake as there has ever been. And believe it or not, they go over 45 mph, but are more discrete about it. I disagree with the notion that the recession/depression of 2009-2016 did not impact the number of boats on the lake. It did. Look at the lake this past week! I've NEVER seen it so crowded, now that we have a robust economy.

Also, I disagree that safety wasn't the overriding concern for the new law. Go back and read the articles - it was ALL about safety. And guess what, having a speed limit has not contributed to improved safety one iota. The out-of-stater legislators in Concord (transplants from other states) capitalized on a tragedy, and now we are stuck with this foolish law. This is yet another example of value systems from other states creeping into NH's Live Free or Die value system, and it sucks.

And by the way, I've been boating on the lake for over 40 years. My dad owned a boat that did 90, and my family I enjoyed every second of it. He was responsible, like most people with fast boats, and the pinky's up crowd had to take it away be cause it was too fast and too loud. Whaaaa!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post: