View Single Post
Old 10-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #15
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Hot water. I can hear the water gurgling and rising in the pipes (not shaking) when the furnace is turned on and the bathroom radiator is open.
Forced hot water system then. I'm a little confused as to how you turn off the radiators, but it doesn't really matter. There will always be water in a forced hot water radiator unless you specifically have the system or a particular zone shut down at the source and blown out.

I'm worried about what you are doing freezing your pipes and wreaking havoc and damage on your house. Radiators are typically located on outside walls (makes sense because that generally the coldest part of a room. Not letting the room get below freezing will not be enough. I would keep those rooms at at least 50F on the cold days. Otherwise those outside walls may get cold enough to freeze the pipes. Even if the interior of the room is "above freezing".

Usually when a pipe freezes it doesn't leak. The frozen part expands and splits the pipe or joint, but the ice prevents water flowing. So the owner checks the rooms every day during a cold snap, but the ice prevents any leaks. As the temps gradually warms out side the pipe starts leaking. This could be days or even weeks after the initial cold snap. Once the leaks start, if you don't notice them in time, the damage is done. Even a little damage will quickly exceed any money you've saved turning the heat way down. Be careful.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post: